Dungarvan & Carrick-on-Suir

In 1809, four women took up residence in a house located in Jail Lane, Dungarvan. They formed a semi-religious community, pooled their resources and dedicated themselves to teaching the poor Catholic children of the town. A local man, Pierce Barron, learned of their work and donated £1,000 to establish a convent and school. Two nuns from Waterford relocated to the newly established convent, while the four women already teaching the poor in Dungarvan collectively made the decision to join the Presentation Sisters.

A Family Affair

A convent was established in Carrick-on-Suir in 1813 when three nuns arrived from Waterford. Two of the women, Mary and Ellen Dwyer, were sisters which was not uncommon in convents. Often multiple members of a family entered a convent. In Rahan sisters Clare (Sr. Angela) and Mary Ann (Sr. Teresa) Biggar were among the first nuns in the convent. Sr Angela served as the first Mother Superior of the convent and between them, the took turns in the role of Mother Superior over a period of three decades. Additionally, a widowed mother, Rose St Leger, and her daughter Sr Augustine joined the community in 1821 and 1822. 

Above: Postcard of Presentation Convent, Dungarvan
Above: Postcard of the highly decorated Interior of the chapel at Carrick-on-Suir Convent
Above: Postcard of Presentation Convent, Carrick-on-Suir