The Wexford convent was purpose-built and financed by William Carroll, who owned a ropemaking factory in the town. When Catherine Devereux (Sr Francis de Sales) and Jane Frayne (Sr Baptist) nuns moved there in  1818, the convent was incomplete and unfurnished. For the first few months the sisters made do with only two beds, two chairs, and a stool. 

Within two years the convent was sufficiently well established that an extension was built to cater for increasing number of pupils and to provide a chapel. Sr Baptist designed the chapel and oversaw its construction. When completed in 1826 it served as the primary place of worship for all Catholics in the town for over 20 years. 

Above: Sr Francis De Sales Devereux. Painting by Thomas Irish


Branching Out – Sr Imelda Wickham, Wexford Convent

Above: Detail of chapel ceiling and wall

The chapel is exquisite with a highly decorated interior in a mixture of both neo-classical and gothic revival styles. The chapel was funded by money raised through weekly collections in the town and through private benefactors one of whom was Mary, Countess of Shrewsbury, who came from Castle Talbot in Blackwater about 17 km north of Wexford town. She contributed £150, towards painting the chapel and the altar was designed by Father John Sinnott, the President of St. Peter’s College. 

In 1826 Sr Francis de Sales Deveraux left Wexford to establish a new convent in Enniscorthy.

Top right image:
Above: Presentation Convent, Enniscorthy
Above: Arial view of Presentation Convent, Wexford, 2023

Thomas Moore

Read more about Thomas Moore’s visit to Wexford Convent here

Nano Nagle Exhibition